Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Only in Yolo County

If you drive down Main Street in Woodland, you have seen this guy. Who is he, what is he doing, is he 2,000 years old? Inside Woodland asks the man who stares at the sun.

Okay, here's the hard part- I don't know this man. I don't know anything about him. I don't know if he's a nice guy, or what. In this situation starting the conversation is never easy. So I walked up to him while he was looking at the sun. I stood a few seconds, not wanting to interrupt him. I waited for him to acknowledge me.

I waited a little while longer. A minute passed. Then five minutes. Then possibly ten minutes. The man I wanted to talk to was standing, looking into the sun. He was talking- but not to me.

I decided that I should either try to initiate a conversation, or I should just go home. Standing here next to him wasn't doing anyone any good. Finally he took a break in his talking, and I figured it was my chance to initiate a conversation.

InsideWoodland- Good morning.
Man Staring at the Sun (Turns to me) Good morning sir!

Well so far, so good.
So I figure it is okay to move on with the important question.

InsideWoodland- What are you doing out here?
Man Staring at the Sun -Just getting warm
InsideWoodland -How long have you been doing this?
Man Staring at the Sun- Two thousand years

No comments: