Sunday, August 20, 2006

Bayside Woodland - Church for people who don't like church.

On Friday my wife took our children to the Yolo County Fair, the last free admission fair in the state by the way, to see the sights and ride a few rides. At one of the many booths, my wife found Bayside of Woodland and brought a pamphlet home. I was excited when I heard the news.

When we lived in the Sacramento area we attended Bayside Church back before they had a church building. We met in the gym at Granite Bay High School. Even then, sitting in folding chairs or in the bleachers, you couldn't help but feel that something special was happening. Pastor Ray Johnston is as real as it gets. A really funny guy, a real biblical teacher, a real communicator, and most importantly a real man of God. The staff of people who make up the Bayside family are some of the most positive people I have ever met. The music is great. Lincoln Brewster is a talented musician and a humble servant of Jesus. I remember the first time seeing Lincoln, I though who is the skinny guy with the funny hair and the soul patch? His CD 'All to you' is filled with uplifting worship music. But back to this morning in Woodland.

As I parked my car at Pioneer High School and made my way to the cafeteria, I was greeted by no more than seven or eight smiling people. I filled out my name tag and made my way inside. The congregation is still small, under 100, although the last few weeks of August are low periods for most churches with families taking vacations and such. The music was led by Peter Neumann. It is definitely upbeat and the band is made up of quite a few people who look like they just received their drivers license. Scott, if I remember the name right, was playing for the first time with the band and this guy can make a Fender guitar sing, I hope he stays. He looks more like me, a little thicker around the middle and a little thinner up top. But he can play.

John Withem is the senior Pastor at Bayside Woodland, and his message today was meant for first timers to the church. It was inviting and energetic and it made me feel right at home. I spoke with John after the service and told him I would be back, I also signed up for a father-son baseball game were we will take the ferry to PacBell park to see a Giants game in September.

If you live in the Woodland area, I would suggest stopping by and checking out a church for anyone who doesn't like church. It's not boring, it isn't negative and you find that you do have a purpose. And take you kids, even the 'coolest' teenager will have a good time, and who knows, he may end up in the band.

No comments: