Saturday, June 17, 2006

If its a Saturday in June, there must be wedding

I am heading out the door right now to perform the wedding ceremony for my friend's son. This will be my second wedding I have officiated in the last two years. I received an email from someone a while back asking if I would perform a wedding for their daughter. I said that I only do wedding for good friends, and referred her to the local Pastor of the Presbyterian church here in Esparto.

I have received quite a few compliments on my services, but that was easy. It's easy to write a ceremony for your best friend. Writing for strangers is a little harder, like today's ceremony. I know the father of the groom, but until last night I had never met the bride or groom. They seem like a very nice couple and so the words came easy last night as I wrote the ceremony.

I know there are many sample ceremonies complete with vows and prayers, but I am not a cut and paste kind of guy. If I perform your wedding ceremony, I want to convey the meaning of marriage as I see it. In my eyes, marriage is not just a decision, it is a life long commitment.

And you better stay together, or I may hunt you down and kick your butt.

I want to keep my perfect record.

No comments: